I've done some C-41 processing at home before, but it's been a while. I finally acquired a really nice water heater / pump that recirculates water and warms it to a very precise temperature. With such a system, it's become much easier to develop at home.
I shot a few sheets of Portra 400NC out at Langdale Park while shooting my Mamiya 645 the other day to test my process. This film is old, outdated, and not really well taken care of (I got it pretty much for free). Even so, the results were fairly impressive. There was a color shift that I edited out in Photoshop - I am not certain whether that was caused by the old film or my processing. I still need to test and check for color accuracy with fresh film. Here are the two best shots. I took these both with my converted Polaroid 900 and 135mm f/3.5 Xenotar lens:
Next I also shot some Ektachrome Plus film that I have been meaning to test for suitability of cross-processing. This stuff is even older and more out of date than the Portra. I got about 400 sheets for less than $50 on eBay just for fun. With my current processing plan, I hope to be able to easily cross-process large batches of this film (6 sheets at a time) with relative ease.
The colors, when properly exposed, are not bad. I tweaked this scan a little, but if I want the cross-processed "look" then I don't have to do anything:
Obviously landscapes aren't generally the best subject for cross-processed film. I will have to go out and try some street scenes using this film, handheld with my Polaroid. Yes I know that sounds really hipster. It's more fun that way... :)
By the way, this is my 100th blog post! Hooray!