Monday, January 16, 2012

Pine Cone Still-Life

I bought a muslin backdrop and all the necessary bits and pieces for lighting in my apartment a few months ago but only last night finally got around to setting it up. I wanted to try a very stark side-lit shot of this pine cone I picked up last year that I had around the house.

I used a Schneider G-Claron 150mm lens that I bought specifically for macro shots. This was at approximately 1:3 magnification. I used f/22 and had an external strobe at full power at 11 o'clock and aimed about 45 degrees from the camera with a snoot. I developed the T-Max 100 negative at N-1. I should have stopped down to probably f/32 or even /f45 but I just don't have a really high-powered flash for this kind of work.

I really like the moody side-lit feel of this shot. I think it will make a nice print:

No comments:

Post a Comment