Thursday, October 27, 2011

Images from Carabelle, FL and St. George Island

A few weeks ago I visited St. George Island in Florida for a few days with family. The weather was not particularly conducive to photography and I did not take many images on film. However, on the way home right outside of Carabelle, FL, was a wonderful beach full of driftwood and old remains of trees. I had to stop to take a few photos.

This first image was the only 4x5 image I took. I finally developed it last night after putting it off. I realized later that I had underexposed it somewhat because I had messed up the filter factor when calculating exposure. It was taken on T-Max 100 film. I had tried pushing this film in development once and was very dissatisfied, so I decided to just develop it normally and work with what I got. It turned out okay with a little bit of blocked-up shadows - I will have to return sometime to retake this. The lens used was the Schneider 150mm APO. The image was at f/16 for 8 seconds I believe:



Here are a couple more from the beach shot on 35mm. I was using a Nikon S2 and a 50mm f/1.4 lens at f/8 on Kodak Portra 160 film and converted to b&w:


I took some impromptu shots around St. George with the S2 as well. Here are a selection of shots from around the island, all on Kodak Portra again but not converted:






These last four shots were taken in Apalachicola, but on a roll of Kodak CN-400 b&w film. This film is a chromogenic b&w film, so it is developed using the standard C-41 color process. It can be a very good film in certain situations, and a speed of 400 allows for either a large depth-of-field or easy handheld shots indoors:





No comments:

Post a Comment