Saturday, October 29, 2011

Downtown Valdosta Architecture Part 2

The weather was not working with me when I returned to First Baptist downtown, so I took another shot at the church but did not include the sky. I am still trying to get the shot I want of the church but it can be difficult with the ever-changing weather. I actually had a completely different composition and was removing my darkslide to take the photo when the sun dipped into a cloud bank, messing up my exposure settings and causing me to completely reconsider my shot right before this image was made.

Here is a direct frontal shot, cropped to a square format. The Schneider 90mm f/8 lens was used at f/22 for 2 seconds:


With the sun set, I decided to take a shot I have taken before on medium format, but had not had a chance to redo with 4x5. I quite like this image that most Valdostans will recognize if they go downtown for First Fridays. This is right in front of City Market looking north down Patterson Street. I used the Schneider 210mm f/5.6 at f/32 for 1 minute:


Here are a couple of shots from exactly one year ago using medium format - specifically a Pentax 67 camera with a 55mm lens. In web-sized photos it is hard to see much of a difference, but the subtle gradations of tone is better in 4x5 images to my eye, mostly due to development factors I believe. These were shot on T-Max 400 film, though I don't remember the exposure:


Also note in picture two the converging verticals of the buildings. I think it works in this photo, but many times wide-angle lenses pointed up make buildings look like they are falling over. This is one of the big benefits of a view camera - being able to use front rise to have parallel lines in architectural photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment