Sunday, January 17, 2016

Wanderlust Travelwide 4x5 @ U.S.S. Alabama

Back in October I shot a bunch of film in Mississippi and Alabama, but never posted anything except a short preview. I got busy and had so much film that I just forgot! Anyway, I wanted to post a few things from that trip to catch up.

First, the day I was leaving for the trip, I actually received my Wanderlust Travelwide 4x5 camera. For those who don't know, this is a new production 4x5 camera designed to be a small, lightweight, fixed-lens camera. It was a Kickstarter project which I backed a couple of years ago that was finally released, after some design problems. It's a really nice camera and lends itself, as you'd expect, for travel.

I took it with me on my trip and ended up shooting quite a bit at the U.S.S. Alabama with it. I did not want to bring a tripod onto the ship (if they would even let me) so HP5+ film on a sunny day allowed me to shoot handheld easily. Here's some images:




 

And I took one photo on Velvia 50:


Overall this camera was really easy to carry and shoot. The auxiliary rangefinder and helical, once calibrated, worked perfectly. For a MSRP $150 camera, I couldn't be happier.

The only downside is my 90mm Angulon spontaneously developed separation, which ruined a couple of photos due to really bad flaring. I switched out to an old Super Angulon I have with a rough rear element to try, but I haven't shot anything with it yet. I'll probably take it out the next time I go canoeing.

While there I also had my Leica M6 in my pocket with Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 lens. I shot mostly inside the U.S.S. Drum, a submarine parked next to the Alabama. It is really dark in there and even with 400-speed film was a challenge. Here's a few of those shots, and also some inside and outside the Alabama and aircraft hanger:

 
 
 


 

That's it for today, more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment