Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Of Reflections and Symmetry

It seems like one of the most common things I shoot is any kind of water reflection or symmetrical relationship. I just enjoy seeing that and photographing it.

I thought I would post a number of images made in the last couple of weeks that have reflections or symmetry, or close enough.

First, this photo I actually shot back in October. I posted the same photo in b&w back in early October. But I just now developed the film (Velvia 100F). I like the longer streaks of water in the b&w image due to a longer exposure, but the subdued early-morning colors are quite nice here. Taken with my Voigtlander 21cm f/4.5 APO Lanthar, and cropped slightly to make it more even:


I took a similar water reflection picture a couple of days ago at Banks Lake. I was trying out an interesting lens that I bought for all of $25 - a Rodenstock 13.5cm f/4.5 Trinar lens. This is a 3-element lens likely supplied on a cheaper 9x12 folder from the early part of last century. Fairly uncommon to find by itself, it's a nice little lens and pretty unique. Here's two images of the same subject, shot on either Fuji 160S or Velvia 50. This is an interesting comparison of the two films. I won't say which is which - though I think it's obvious:


I also shot this one afterwards, also on Fuji 160S, as the sun was setting:


On all of the above, I used a darkslide to cover up half the lens during 2/3 of the exposure to have the equivalent of a 2-stop GND filter, as I do not have a proper adapter to use one on this lens, yet.

Moving on from water reflections, here are a few symmetrical-ish photos I took last week wandering on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi during Christmas, with my Pentax 67ii and 55mm lens:



And now for something totally different, two photos from my Leica M9. Meagan and I were again wondering at a pier in Mississippi on Christmas morning. I found the repeating pattern of these logs interesting:


And then this line of seagulls and the pier behind them lined up in a very graphical symmetry to me (cropped slightly to enhance that feeling):


The first image above was with a 25mm f/4 Voigtlander Skopar, the second with a 8.5cm f/2 Nikkor.

Okay, that's enough for today. I hope you enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment