Thursday, February 7, 2013

Strickland Mill Project - Demonstrating Perspective Correction

I wanted to share a single image today that I took actually quite a while ago to demonstrate what is possible with Photoshop in regards to Perspective Correction.

One of the most important reasons, beyond image quality, to use a large-format camera is the ability to use movements to correct perspective or increase apparent DOF. While they make lenses that do the same for current digital cameras, they are prohibitively expensive and of limited use.

For this shot I used an older 28mm f/2 AIS lens, carefully focused and shot on a tripod. I was tilting the camera up several degrees. The resultant image was that corrected in Photoshop:


Now, there is no free lunch. Performing this type of correction lowers the resolution of the image, and also requires you to crop in to the image depending on how much you correct. With the large 36-megapixel images from the D800E, this isn't as bad as it could be, but with my older D700 (12mp) it generally was a bad idea.

In a perfect world I'd rather have a lens that enabled movements, such as the 24mm PC-E lens from Nikon. Maybe someday. Alternatively, my large-format cameras work quite well for this, with even more lens options, so I'll probably just keep shooting those!

No comments:

Post a Comment