Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Another Rodinal Test - T-Max 100 35mm film

The results from Tri-X in Rodinal was so nice I wanted to try T-Max 100. T-Max is my standard 4x5 film but I've never really gotten the hang of it in 35mm. I exposed it at ISO 50 and developed it in Rodinal 1:50 for 10 minutes at 20 degrees C. The negatives came out really nice, though just a tad overexposed. Similar to my Tri-X test, it seems that I needed to shoot it 2/3 of a stop under box speed, or 64. Further shooting will be at that speed instead, with probably a slight pull of the development time.

The detail in the negatives is fantastic. An 11x14 print from the 35mm frame should come out great, despite being about a 10x enlargement. I will have to test that when I get moved and set up my darkroom. Speaking of which, this will be my last roll of film likely before I move, as I need to start packing up some of my equipment!

Anyway, here are the photos. I used a variety of lenses - 21/4, 35/1.8, 50/1.4, 85/2, and 135/3.5:









2 comments:

  1. Nice work. The third and fifth images are my favorites for what that's worth. Some small camera and digital photographers are put off by the over-all greyness of large negatives, if they don't get to experience the wealth of detailed contrast areas in them.

    I do Rodinal stand development of 4x5 and 8x10 negs in tray, one at a time. HC-110 seems to be favored by some large neg and stand developers, so I am going to try that. But Rodinal has never failed me, once I learned the hard lesson of washing negs completely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I have only used Rodinal on x-ray 8x10 negatives in large-format. I am going to have to try it on my 4x5 T-Max 100 shots sometime now!

    ReplyDelete