Thursday, September 6, 2012

Sunset Cemetery at Sunset - 6x12 panoramic images

I'm a little behind in posting things so I'm going to try to post several things by the end of the week.

I just got a Horseman 6x12 back to replace the 6x17 that I had. It was frustrating to use because it was an expansion back, meaning I had to frame the image on a separate ground-glass assembly, then switch in the actual roll-film holder, and finally shoot. The worst part about this was that I could not use any lenses that were shorter than 90mm (a ~75mm might have worked, but I don't own one). Plus, anything longer than 90mm started to clip on the sides and not really be 6x17. A 210mm was already clipped to a 6x12 instead.

The 6x12 back instead requires you to focus on the normal GG, and then you put the back on. It works really nicely and it is really easy to use on the Chamonix 4x5 because it already has frame lines for 6x12 images (as well as 6x7 and 6x9).

Here's three images from Valdosta's historic Sunset Cemetery, appropriately taken as the sun was setting soon after a storm cleared. I am most pleased with the first one, though I wish there was more shadow detail. I'm going back today at the same time to retry it with a different film. I was actually leaving as I came upon that wonderful scene, so I had nothing but some cheap Arista EDU 100 film that I've never shot before. Today I'm bringing some Ilford FP4+ which I've used before, or I might shoot it with Tri-X 400.

The other images were with some HP5+ I had sitting around. I'm trying to shoot a bunch of 120 film that I was given and haven't had the chance to shoot. The roll-film back is especially nice for this.

The first two were with the Nikon 90mm f/8 lens, and the last was with a 210mm f/9 Graphic Kowa:




Stay tuned for some interesting posts in the next couple of days!

No comments:

Post a Comment