Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Savannah 2012 - 4x5, 6x17, and 35mm

Finally finished developing. scanning, and editing these. I have a lot to do in the darkroom printing some of them but that'll come later. I had the pleasure of spending 3 days in Savannah two weeks ago for the Georgia Music Educator's Association conference assisting with the All-College Band. When I wasn't engaged with them I was out hitting the pavement with my 4x5 and other cameras all through Savannah's historic district and of course River Street.

I almost always bring my digital SLR on trips like this but this time I made the decision to completely forego digital. I think my photos turned out better than they would otherwise (not necessarily because digital is inferior, but having to focus on the film shots and not fumble with yet another camera kit).

Well I'll get right to it. Make sure to hit "Read More" when you get to it to see more photos!

The first day was busy so I did not get out till after sunset. Here's a shot across from a bar that is always hopping. I used a Schneider 210mm Symmar-S and took eight exposures each 1/2 a second long to get a different effect:


The next day I got up early to shoot. Here is a shot in the famous Colonial Park Cemetery. It was a bit blustery so you can see some movement in the moss to the left. I used a Nikon 90mm f/8 for this:


Near this cemetery is St. John's Cathedral, one of my favorite Catholic churches. Here is a shot of the interior with a 150mm lens:



I also ventured to River Street and took some candid street photos using my Nikon SP equipped with either the Voigtlander 21mm or Nikon 50mm, 85mm, or 135mm lenses. Here's a couple of the best shots:





 

Lot's more after the break!!


About this time I started using my 6x17 medium-format back on my 4x5. I will present all of these together, but they were taken across 2 days. All were with the Nikon 90mm f/8 which covers 6x17 perfectly, with movements:

Here is one of the squares dotting the historic district. Sorry I don't know which one!


 And here is a shot on river street. I used an ND filter to get a longer exposure:


This is the shops right behind River Street and the historic Cotton Exchange:


And here is the Telfair Museum:


Now back to 4x5. Here is another shot of that square with a 150mm lens and a short DOF:


This is a shot outside my hotel window of a building in sunlight (with a 210mm):


And another, looking at a different historic church with the wind blowing. This was a long exposure using an ND again.


That's it for 4x5. Now just for fun I took a few shots the last night with my Nikon SP again loaded with old expired Fuji Superia 1600 film. It's grainy but here's a couple of them:




And this final one is 5 shots stitched together to make a panorama of River Street from across the river at the convention center:


Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment